Way back during the brutally cold (and unforgiving) winter, I was invited to attend a skincare education session hosted by Dermalogica. The session was about adult acne; ways to prevent it, how adults deal with it, and how it happens! The session went into detail about skincare and how even in adulthood, acne pops up. Because yes, the universe still likes to throw us those curveballs, doesn't it?
So ever since that session, I’ve been wondering how my lifestyle affected my skin and what I could do about it. I can't always blame those random pimples on PMS all the time, can I? Seriously, I mean, am I even using the right products here?! Luckily for me, I had the chance to interview Charmaine Cooper, the Education Manager of Dermalogica Canada who was able to provide me with some insight that I wanted to share with all of you.
In regards to adult acne (and its stressors) is there anything you can suggest to men and in particular women regarding their skincare routine?
- When treating and controlling adult acne, calming and soothing the skin is just as important as decongesting the skin. An adult acneic skin heals slower, and therefore; maintains redness longer. By calming and soothing the skin, one is also able to avoid untimely adult acne scars. Regular exfoliation with Salicylic acid is also paramount, as it encourages oil reduction, less redness and smoother skin. Use light-weight, moisturizers that contain Salicylic acid in order to control acne-forming bacteria while still delivering ample hydration to the skin.
- Stress is a major driver to acne formation, it is important to prioritize stress reduction as a critical step to a more balanced sense of being. This will ultimately help to prevent stress-related acne formation
What are the easiest ways to prevent and/or deter adult acne?
The easiest ways to prevent acne are as follows:
- Double cleanse the skin to ensure proper removal of makeup as well as dirt that is secreted from the skin.
- Do not pick the skin (this leads only to more scarring and spreading of bacteria).
- Change pillow cases and cleanse cell phone surfaces regularly!
- Avoid the use of comedogenic ingredients like mineral oil, artificial colourants, and artificial fragrances.
What would you say is the best way to treat adult acne and what products should they be looking for?
The best products to look for to treat adult acne would be to seek
a) Acid-balanced cleansers that do not strip the skin ( Containing Tea tree, gentle foaming Saponaria Extract)
b) Purifying masques that contain Kaolin and Bentonite Clays, to purify and draw out congestion.
c) Hydrate the skin with a water-based moisturizer that controls shine and acne, while delivering ample water levels to the skin. This will help to ensure that oil production is not in overdrive to compensate for a thirsty skin!
d) For the untimely breakout, use a spot treatment to target specific inflamed lesions quickly and effectively! Look for treatments that contain colloidal silver (healing), Lactobacillus (skin renewing) and Zinc Sulfate ( to purify). We would recommend Dermalogica’s NEW MediBac Clearing Breakout Control.
Is there anything else you would want us to know regarding adult acne and its causes, stressors, and prevention methods?
- Adult acne is primarily driven by stress and hormones. And therefore, exercise, supplements, improving sleep, meditating and having treatments could assist in acne reduction. Implementing these minor lifestyle choices will have positive impacts on controlling Adult acne.
- Consider exercise choices. High impact/high adrenalin exercise may be over-stimulating the skin. Always cleanse skin after exercising due to sweat and skin debris contributing to breakouts.
Stay tuned for part two of my skincare series!